Rainer and I have been spending a lot of time each week at the Center. The director, Patrick, and his family are like family here. The ‘moms’ at the Center are so welcoming, friendly and kind- Susan, Jennifer, Jane 1, Julia and Jane 2. I like to hang out with them in the kitchen and help prepare meals. There’s always sorting to be done, with beans, maize, or rice (it’s cheaper to buy unsorted bags, so we pick out stones and rotten pieces by hand). Rainer helps Patrick with all kinds of painting, wood splitting and other odd jobs. When the kids come home from school, we play games with them. The K-branch is the LCC’s other location of a pre-school and lunch program, where Rainer and I teach art classes and help out with the same types of projects. It’s in a neighboring town, Karimithu.
Monday, October 4, 2010
LCC- Limuru Children's Center
The Limuru Children’s Center is a home for 42 boarders, houses a pre-school, and a lunch program for local school children, among other things. Global Connections (whom I traveled with to Kenya the first time I came over) has worked with the LCC since the beginning. My brother, Bryan, does a wonderful annual fundraiser for the Center (Trek for the Kids, Climb for the Kids, Bike for the Kids, and more recently, Paddle for the Kids). Everyone here LOVES Bryan. “Where’s Bryan”, “How’s Bryan”, “oh, your BRYAN’S sister?!” My family is God-parent to 5 of the boarders. Rainer and I have had the privilege of writing to little Patrick for the past year… it was so great to meet him when we arrived here.
Rainer and I have been spending a lot of time each week at the Center. The director, Patrick, and his family are like family here. The ‘moms’ at the Center are so welcoming, friendly and kind- Susan, Jennifer, Jane 1, Julia and Jane 2. I like to hang out with them in the kitchen and help prepare meals. There’s always sorting to be done, with beans, maize, or rice (it’s cheaper to buy unsorted bags, so we pick out stones and rotten pieces by hand). Rainer helps Patrick with all kinds of painting, wood splitting and other odd jobs. When the kids come home from school, we play games with them. The K-branch is the LCC’s other location of a pre-school and lunch program, where Rainer and I teach art classes and help out with the same types of projects. It’s in a neighboring town, Karimithu.
Some extra helpers cutting up spinach at the K-branch
Our God-child, Patrick
My dad's God-child, Trevor, holding pictures my parents have mailed him
Mama Jane 1
The food schedule that is hanging in the kitchen at the LCC
Rainer playing soccer at the LCC
Mama Julia
Rainer and I have been spending a lot of time each week at the Center. The director, Patrick, and his family are like family here. The ‘moms’ at the Center are so welcoming, friendly and kind- Susan, Jennifer, Jane 1, Julia and Jane 2. I like to hang out with them in the kitchen and help prepare meals. There’s always sorting to be done, with beans, maize, or rice (it’s cheaper to buy unsorted bags, so we pick out stones and rotten pieces by hand). Rainer helps Patrick with all kinds of painting, wood splitting and other odd jobs. When the kids come home from school, we play games with them. The K-branch is the LCC’s other location of a pre-school and lunch program, where Rainer and I teach art classes and help out with the same types of projects. It’s in a neighboring town, Karimithu.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment